Quilt Expo - Quilt Exhibit Attendant (Docent)
Monitor the quilts for safety, show visitors the reverse sides of quilts, answer basic questions and share information about the quilts using fact sheets we provide. Knowledge of Quilting not necessary. A great way to see the Quilt Exhibit and to meet new people.
Quilt Exhibit Attendant (Docent) Job Duties
- Ensure quilt safety in the exhibit area.
- Monitor traffic flow to make sure that visitors’ do not bring food or drink into the quilt exhibit.
- Show visitors the reverse side of the quilts using white gloves.
- Answer basic questions about the quilts on display.
- Share stories and background information about specific quilts in the exhibit (provided to you).
- Direct visitors to the location of classrooms, quilt exhibits, vendor booths, food stations, and other Alliant Energy Center facilities.
- Direct questions to your captain as needed.
Quilt Exhibit Attendant (Docent) Job Skills and Requirements
- Friendly and positive demeanor
- Strong communication and pronunciation skills.
- Enjoy working in a people focused environment.
- Physically able to stand and circulate among attendees.
- Comfortable talking with small groups in the exhibit area.
- Aural acuity to hear and speak with visitors in an environment that has noise/distractions.
- Ability to discern when to ask your captain for assistance.
- Must wear white gloves during entire shift.
- Volunteers 16 and older may participate.
Year at a Glance