Close this Window
Auction - Board Captain
Track bids on the Auction board using information relayed from the phone bank and the bid sorters. Update bids quickly and efficiently, star overbids, and assist with setting up new boards.
Board Captain Job Duties
- Work with your manager to determine your board assignment.
- Locate and test your headset to make sure it is working properly.
- Learn how the phone bank will identify your board.
- Make sure the auctioneer scripts are in the order listed on the board.
- Listen for bids through your headset and/or given by bid sorters.
- Write bid amount on correct space on the board. Listen carefully for new bids to come in and update accordingly.
- Stand to the side of board so phone bank can see current bids.
- Star overbid items and convey information to auctioneer.
- Once board has been closed and sold, assist with setting up the next board.
- Direct questions to your manager as needed.
Board Captain Job Skills and Requirements
- Aural acuity to clearly hear and interpret bid information using a headset.
- Ability to write clearly and legibly.
- Physically able to stand, negotiate stairs and walk for the duration of your shift.
- Ability to make good decisions in the moment and maintain calm under pressure.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work efficiently in a sometimes noisy and hectic environment.
- Ability to discern when to ask your manager for assistance.
- General understanding of Auction is recommended. Must be able to assist/direct bid sorters as needed.
- Successful completion of 20 hours as a bid sorter and new captain training program.
- Volunteers 18 and older may participate.